Understanding the dosage and frequency of your medication is important in preventing medication mistakes. Regardless of your age, it is very easy to forget to take your medicine, or not remember if you already took it. This is particularly true if you are taking multiple medications. Also, professionals make mistakes. For example, the pharmacist can dispense the wrong concentration.
If you are a caregiver, you have the added responsibility of keeping up with the proper medication dosages for your senior loved one. You need to understand when and how each medication should be taken, as well as the possible side effects.
A recent AARP article reported: “The Food and Drug Administration estimates that 1.3 million people are injured by medication errors annually in the U.S.”
Preventing Medication Mistakes
- Talk to your doctor and pharmacist about all the medications you are taking and ask questions about why a medication is being prescribed and how and when it should be taken.
- Develop a system for keeping track of when you take your medications. A written medication log or a child-resistant weekly pill organizer may be helpful.
- Always store all medications up, away and out of sight of children or grandchildren.
Medication Management From Assisted Living Technologies
Assisted Living Technologies understands the importance of medication management as part of the caregiving process. We have researched and evaluated many medication management products in the industry and have the most effective available for our clients.
Please click here to view our medication management solutions.
Our products are available at many price points. We offer a wide variety of solutions, from basic pill organizers to electronic organizers that alert users. Here are a couple of options.
- MedMinder Jon + Alert is the most effective and affordable solution available to enhance medication adherence and allow for quick access to emergency services. Besides enabling personal interventions from caregivers, this pill dispenser offers patients a sense of comfort and companionship. $64.95
- The MedReady 1750FL Medication Dispenser w/ flashing light and monitoring automatically dispenses medication and vitamin supplements in accordance with prescribed treatment programs. If the dose is missed then our automated call center is alerted and you will receive a reminder call. $207.00
For more information about preventing medication mistakes and medication management, please contact Assisted Living Technologies at (203) 235-TECH (8324).