Many people who need non-medical assisted living, long-term care, or companion services prefer to receive that care at home, and while non-medical home care services are typically less expensive than daily care in a facility, they can still be costly.  In most cases, non-medical home care services are paid for out-of-pocket.  However, there are some alternative funding sources that I wanted to bring to your attention.

1. Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders. This program is state and federally funded and administered by the State Department of Social Services.  If you qualify, the program can offer you help with daily living activities such as cleaning, food preparation, and chores.  The first step in determining if you qualify for the Program is to contact them at 1-800-445-5394.

2. Aid and Attendance Pension for Veterans. In order to qualify for this one, your loved one must be a veteran, and have served at least 90 days of active duty (one day in time of war), among other criteria to qualify.  Since this program does take some time and effort to complete the application process (usually 4 to 6 months), it may be useful to contact an elder law attorney to assist you and likely expedite the process.

3. Reverse mortgages. There are many pros and cons with this method so it’s best advised to discuss this with and elder law attorney as well.

4. Long-term Care Insurance. Finally, If you have a long term care policy, it may provide a benefit for non-medical home care services, especially if the services include assistance with activities of daily living (ADL’s) like bathing, dressing, toileting, ambulation, and feeding. Review your policy or check with your insurance company to see if you have this benefit.

For more information, feel free to give our office a call at 203.634.8668 or leave comments below. We’re always happy to help.

Ron D’Aquila RN, Co-owner/VP

Assisted Living Service, Inc.